Marshmallow Fondant Tutorial



Marshmallow fondant is the way to go.  I've only purchased one brand (wilton) of fondant and it was gross and expensive.  I'm not sure about other brands.  However, marshmallow fondant (mmf) is easy to make, inexpensive, and tastes like marshmallows and sugar - which is what it is.  

I use bunnywoman's recipe (https://slice-heaven.com/store/show/BWMF).  I hardly ever use all the powdered sugar in the recipe.  I mostly go by the feel of the fondant as I'm working with it.  

Here is a large batch of fondant:
16 oz  mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons water
7 cups powdered sugar (2 lb. bag minus 1 cup)  
crisco 
cornstarch




Mix the marshmallows and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals.

Stir and melt until the marshmallows get 'soupy'.


If you want to color the entire batch now is a good time to add the color.  Just remember you are adding powdered sugar so it will end up being a little lighter in color and you can always add color so don't over do it.  Stir that up then...

Add a little powdered sugar and mix with a spoon.  The marshmallows will be hot so mix until cool enough to handle.

Dump it on the table with the rest of the powdered sugar and start kneading.

Keep mixing in powdered sugar and kneading...

Until it is mixed.  It should be soft and stretchy.  I don't recommend using it right away.  I usually make mine the day before I need it.  Before you wrap it up tight in saran wrap, rub a little bit of crisco all over the outside of the ball.

Then wrap it up tight in cling wrap.

Seal it in a ziploc bag with the air all smashed out.  I leave it like this overnight and then it's ready to use the next day.

The secret to perfect texture fondant is a little bit of crisco and a little bit of cornstarch.  When you are ready to roll it out to cover your cake, rub a tiny bit of crisco on your hands and take a handful of fondant out and start kneading it.  If it's too sticky then use cornstarch.  Once that bit is nice and pliable, grab some more until the amount you need is nice and ready.  When rolling it out don't use powdered sugar!  I started out using powdered sugar to roll it out but I have quickly learned that cornstarch is soooo much better.  I used to have to re-roll out my fondant several times because the center would always stick.  With cornstarch I haven't had to.  Also when rolling it out it helps to roll once then scoot both hands underneath and turn the fondant a quarter turn.  Roll, turn, roll turn.  The fondant ends up rolling out into a nice circle shape and the middle doesn't get a chance to stick.  I really like the white wilton rolling pin.  It has worked really well for me.  Placing the fondant on the cake and smoothing it out is a whole tutorial in itself.  It just takes a lot of practice.  Maybe I'll write about what I've learned about that another time...
Here is a helpful chart to know how much fondant you need to cover a cake.  

Comments

Popular Posts