Frozen

May 2014.
This cake was for my niece's birthday.  It was really fun to make.  All the decorations I made ahead of time so it was pretty fast assembly the day of the party.  Zoey's mom took the first two photos - they look great.  (Thanks!)




Her name was really easy since the word frozen has zoe in it.  I printed out a picture of the Frozen title on card stock and cut out the letters I needed.  I rolled out my gum paste and rubbed a little crisco on it then rubbed the letter down to stick.  Using a sharp razor I cut out the letters.  A new clean razor works much better than the plastic gum paste tools.  For the 'y' I had to just wing it to make it look like the same font.


To make the snow I made royal icing then spread it around the top and just a little down the sides.  I then took a piping bag with a round tip and started piping at the top then dragged the icing down and stopped the pressure pulling down.  This created the icicles.  Then I took an offset spatula and roughed up the icing where I started piping to make it more cohesive.


I made Olaf out of a mixture of modeling chocolate and gum paste.  I find the mixture easier to work with rather than one or the other.  Also, you can't use the food pens on straight modeling chocolate and I needed to color in his mouth and make his eyes and eye brows with the food pens.  The Americolor Gourmet Writer work so much better than the wilton pens.  Plus Americolor offers so many more colors.  I got mine at Joann's with a coupon.  Olaf's buttons are cocoa nibs.  I thought they  worked out well.  
Here is the picture tutorial I used to make Olaf.



Comments

Popular Posts