Turtle and Golf birthday cakes

March 2010. These two cakes are birthday cakes.  The turtle was for my cousin Daniel, cuz he likes turtles.  For this cake I made two rounds and left one of them domed.  The feet and head are cupcakes made with the extra batter.  Cover the whole thing in fondant and there you have your turtle.  I've since learned different ways to get rid of the powdered sugar you can see on the cake.  (And I've since switched to corn starch - I think it works a whole lot better when rolling out the fondant.)  You can buff out the white by using another piece of fondant.  Just pinch it in your fingers and rub it around.  You can also use alcohol.  The alcohol evaporates so it is safe to use.  I haven't used it on large areas like this turtle cake, only small pieces.  It works great.  You can also use it to paint on fondant.  Just mix some food coloring into the alcohol, and when the alcohol evaporates the color is left.  If you can stand the smell then it's great. 





This cake was for my brother-in-law.  The golf ball is a super rock hard rice krispy treat that we dented to look like a big golf ball.


Comments

Popular Posts